A tribute token is something that each tribute is permitted to bring with them into the Hunger Games arena, which can represent their district and remind them of home. However, tokens will be confiscated if they break the rules of the Games, as will anything that can give the tribute an advantage. A token is usually something that can be worn so the tributes may keep it with them easily.
The concept of a tribute token is seemingly eliminated from The Hunger Games film, as Cinna appears to sneak in the mockingjay pin. However, it is apparently reintroduced in the Catching Fire film; Effie mentions she has obtained matching gold tokens for Haymitch and Peeta to go along with Katniss' mockingjay pin and her own gold wig, to show that they are a team.
Although there was not, as yet, any concept of a token during the 10th Hunger Games, Coriolanus Snow gave Lucy Gray Baird a makeup compact that once belonged to his mother. She used the compact to smuggle rat poison from the Capitol Zoo into the arena and poison the other tributes. The compact was later one of three pieces of evidence used against Coriolanus by Dean Casca Highbottom to show his treachery in the games before forcing him to enroll in the Peacekeepers. Later, after being rescued from this fate by Volumnia Gaul, Snow returned to Highbottom and got the compact back.
- Glimmer, District 1; Ring- This was taken away from her before the Games began, since the review board realized that twisting the gemstone caused a poisoned spike to pop out. Glimmer claimed to have no knowledge about this, but it was still taken away. It was the only known confiscated token.
- Rue, District 11; Wooden charm shaped like a star or flower worn on a length of woven grass- Rue mentions that it brings good luck. It reminded Rue of the fields she worked in.
- Katniss Everdeen, District 12; Mockingjay pin- A golden pin given to Katniss by Madge Undersee. It was almost confiscated as well, since the sharp part of the pin could be used as a weapon (although Katniss never used it for that reason), but it managed to clear the review board.
- Katniss Everdeen, District 12; Mockingjay pin- See above.
- Peeta Mellark, District 12; Mockingjay medallion, modeled after the pin- The medallion was also a secret locket, which contained a picture of Gale smiling, and Katniss' mother, along with Prim. Peeta later gives it to Katniss, as a gift, trying to use it to convince her that she has to win the games, not him.
- Finnick Odair, District 4; Gold bangle with flame pattern- This token was procured by Effie Trinket and first worn by Haymitch Abernathy to show unity among the representatives of District 12. Haymitch later gave it to Finnick, who showed it to Katniss when they came face to face in the arena. At first, Katniss was slightly confused with the fact that Finnick had the bangle, and thought he stole it from Haymitch, but then realized that Haymitch had given it to Finnick to send her a signal- that Finnick could be trusted and to take him on as an ally. It is unknown if Finnick had an original token from District 4, before he was given Haymitch's token.
- A girl from an unknown district (possibly 7): Wooden ball- Just before the games, while standing on the pedestal around the Cornucopia, the ball was accidentally dropped onto the ground before the gong sounded and she was blasted into pieces by the landmines. She had to be literally scraped off the ground to be taken back in the hovercraft.