- "Our part of District 12, nicknamed the Seam, is usually crawling with coal miners heading out to the morning shift at this hour. Men and women with hunched shoulders, swollen knuckles, many of whom have long since stopped trying to scrub the coal dust out of their broken nails and the lines of their sunken faces"
- ―Katniss Everdeen[src]
The Seam is the poorest area of District 12, and where Katniss and Gale's families live. The Seam lies on the border of District 12, next to the wild forests of the unknown area adjacent to District 13. It is extremely hard to find food in the Seam and many families live in poverty. An adult who lives to be very old is respected and thought of as wise. Early in the morning, the streets of the Seam are crowded with tired and worn-down coal miners heading to work. Everything in this part of the district is covered in a layer of coal dust.
People who live in the Seam also tend to look similar. Most people living in the Seam have black hair, olive skin, and gray eyes.
Due to the District 12 being destroyed by fire bombs, it was also destroyed. Gale helped lead some of the people living in the Seam to the lake in the woods surrounding District 12.
- Katniss Everdeen, Primrose, Buttercup, Lady and Mr. and Mrs. Everdeen, though they move to the Victors' Village in Catching Fire.
- Gale, Rory, Vick, Posy, and Mr. and Hazelle Hawthorne
- Greasy Sae and her granddaughter
- Haymitch Abernathy, before the second Quarter Quell.
- The Goat Man