District 3 is one of the 13 districts of Panem. Its main industry is technology, and the people manufacture televisions, computers, and other electronics. During the Victory Tour in Catching Fire, Katniss notices that this district, along with District 8 and District 4, is particularly happy to see her, implying that it is one of the more rebellious districts. It is also implied in Catching Fire that its citizens lived in abject poverty, as they were one of the first districts to start an uprising during the Dark Days. Most of its inhabitants work in factories and are very adept at engineering.
Due to District 3's industry, Tributes it tends to be extremely clever at creating and using electronics. While this is not always useful in the brutal, combative environment of the Hunger Games Arena, it can have advantages; Beetee achieved his victory by building a wire trap that electrocuted several tributes at once, the tribute boy in the 74th Hunger Games was able to rewire the tributes' explosive platforms to protect a pile of hoarded supplies.
District 3 female (74th HG) - Died on the first day (bloodbath).
Beetee Latier - Victor of a previous Hunger Games. Competed in and survived the 75th Hunger Games/3rd Quarter Quell. After the Second Rebellion and overthrow of President Snow, Beetee was the last surviving tribute from District 3.
Location and geography
According to the map of Panem featured in The Hunger Games Adventures, District 3 is located in the eastern part of the continent. It is bordered by Districts 12 (to the east), 8 (to the south), 9 (to the west), and 6 (to the north). The district contains many factories for the production of electronic devices.
- Beetee, Wiress and the District 3 male (74th HG) were all described by Katniss as having ashen skin, so this is presumed to be a typical trait of District 3. In the films, Beetee was the only tribute from the district not to have this characteristic.
- Both the tributes in the 74th and 75th Hunger Games who didn't die in the bloodbath died at the hands of a Career; the District 3 male was killed by Cato and Wiress was killed by Gloss. This excludes Beetee as he's currently alive.
- While the District 3 female did not make it far in the 74th Hunger Games, dying third in the bloodbath, the male was electronically skilled and he proved that to the Careers by moving and then rearming the landmines used to prevent tributes from stepping off the pedestals before the official start of the Games.
- The bread from this district is bite-sized square-shaped rolls.
- Before the Dark Days, District 3 was one of the more wealthy districts, however, it was crippled by the uprising (in which it presumably played an important role) and living standards decreased.
- Although it's still one of the wealthier districts, District 3's living attitude is poor, and is the poorer of the wealthier districts, and typically don't do well in the Games.
- According to The Hunger Games Adventures, District 3 is located directly to the west of District 12.
- According to the Capitol.pn, District 3 has twelve factories in operation, and a population of 195,329, making it the third-largest district, in terms of population.
- It was one of the first districts to rebel during the 2nd rebellion, along with Districts 1, 8, and 11. District 3 was the 2nd - 4th district to pry from Capitol rules and eventually, they became the third district to do so.
- Although it was said they showed joy during Katniss' arrival during the Victory Tour, the citizens of District 3 seemed to be unhappy and later rioted during her speech, pleading for her to say what she really felt.
- According to the Capitol.PN, District 3 claims 62,991 in tesserae, making it the fifth richest district.
- If the population is 195,329 and they claim 62,991 tesserae, it would equal to 0.322 tesserae per person, making it the 6th richest district.