District 2 is one of the thirteen districts of Panem. Located in the Rocky Mountains, close the Capitol itself, it is one of the largest and wealthiest districts. Publicly, District 2 is presented solely as the home of the nation's stone quarries and masonry workers, but it is also where many Peacekeepers are recruited, trained, and where weapons are manufactured for their use. Prior to the Second Rebellion, this latter industry was apparently not widely known among the larger citizenry (similar to how District 13 was publicly known for graphite mining, but was also the center of Panem's nuclear weapons program prior to the First Rebellion).
After the First Rebellion (74 years prior to the story's beginning), District 2 was rewarded with better treatment and living conditions for its citizens because of their loyalty to the Capitol. Despite this preferential treatment, however, the quarry workers suffer as much as laborers in any other district, and the district as a whole is not excluded from the annual Hunger Games.
Children from District 2 are raised with a warrior mindset in preparation for becoming Peacekeepers, though this mentality also serves them well in the Hunger Games. Tributes from District 2 are typically Careers, who train for years before competing, as winning is a great honor in Career Districts. Like the Careers from Districts 1 and 4, those from District 2 tend to be strong and well-prepared, but have an additional level of brutal discipline. As Katniss Everdeen describes them; "Cato. Clove. Brutus. Enobaria. I've seen their eagerness. I've seen their bloodlust, too." There are five known tributes from District 2:
- Cato - Male tribute in the 74th Hunger Games. Was shot in the hand by Katniss, which caused him to tumble off of the Cornucopia and be fatally mauled by wolf mutts. Placed 3rd.
- Clove - Female tribute in the 74th Hunger Games. Was killed by Thresh after bragging about the Career pack killing his fellow tribute from District 11, Rue. Placed 6th.
- Brutus - Male tribute in the 75th Hunger Games and victor of an unspecified prior Hunger Games. Killed during the by Peeta Mellark. Placed 7th.
- Enobaria - Female tribute in the 75th Hunger Games and victor of the 62nd Hunger Games. Survived the Games and, following the Second Rebellion and overthrow of President Snow, she was the last surviving victor from District 2.
- Lyme - Victor of a previous and unknown Hunger Games. Killed during The Battle of District 2.
Location and geography
According to the map of Panem featured in The Hunger Games Adventures, District 2 is located directly to the south of the Capitol. Many small villages, each one based around a stone mine, are scattered across the mountains. Like other districts, District 2 has a central square where the government building is located, and Katniss noted that this stone building was old and particularly elegant (more so than anything she had seen in the Capitol).
During the Dark Days, the Capitol's military command was relocated from District 13; its Peacekeeping force, along with a large portion of its fleet of hoverplanes, were housed in a large mountain in the middle of District 2, which was previously used for mining. Train tracks from the mountain lead into District 2's square. After the mountain was thoroughly mined, the internal infrastructure was reinforced, and barracks, arsenals, computer terminals, and meeting rooms were constructed, turning the mountain into a military base and the Capitol's main source of weapons production after losing District 13. After Plutarch Heavensbee described the mountain as "a tough nut to crack," Katniss Everdeen relayed this remark to the rebel leadership of District 2, resulting in the mountain being nicknamed the "Nut." The mountain itself was virtually impregnable, and numerous rebel attempts to capture the entrances were defeated, resulting in a stalemate.
However, Gale Hawthorne noticed avalanche paths on the sides of the mountain and realized that an alternative to capturing the Nut would be to simply disable it. Boggs realized from examining the Nut's blueprints that its ventilation system was its weak point, as these would be blocked up by avalanches. To minimize casualties, Beetee suggested leaving the train tunnel to the square open as the only means of escape, which Gale was against, as he was seeking retribution for the fire bombing of District 12. It was decided to leave the tunnel intact to give the survivors a chance to surrender, but anticipating that the escapees would be armed and desperate, the rebels fortified the buildings surrounding the square with machine gun nests. When the Nut was bombed by rebellion hovercrafts, the resulting avalanches shut off many entrances and air vents. Initially, it appeared that the survivors did not escape through the tunnel, but suddenly two trains rushed into the station when Katniss had started to broadcast an appeal to surrender. After she tried to convince an injured soldier to surrender and was shot, the District 2 workers who had escaped turned on their own soldiers, allowing the rebels to stand by and watch.
- The close relationship between the Capitol and District 2 is shown by the fact that people from both locations tend to have names derived from ancient Rome: 'Cato', 'Brutus' (District 2), 'Coriolanus', 'Seneca' (Capitol).
- In the film adaptation of The Hunger Games, Haymitch Abernathy remarks that tributes from Districts 1 and 2 are trained for the Games at special academies until they reach the age of 18, after which they volunteer to participate.
- Although tributes from District 2 were always eager to volunteer for the Hunger Games (they are described as having a hunger for 'glory'), it is shown that some of them have always secretly hated the games as much as any other district: Enobaria displays this following the rebel victory by voting for a final, symbolic Hunger Games featuring children from the Capitol, to "give them a taste of their own medicine."
- By the time Katniss became openly involved in the Second Rebellion, District 2 was the last district openly allied with the Capitol. Although the district did not rebel as a whole, certain villages either been sided with or were captured by the rebels before the final assault against the Nut.
- The function and fortification of the Nut are similar to the Cheyenne Mountain Complex that houses NORAD, and the rebel strategy at the Nut is similar to the total war strategy employed during Sherman's March to the Sea.
- In both the 74th Hunger Games and the 75th Hunger Games, the District 2 male tribute was the last to die.
- Along with Districts 1 and 4, District 2 was described as having the largest pools of victors at the Third Quarter Quell.
- Both male tributes in the 74th and 75th Hunger Games were killed by a tribute from District 12.
- In both the 74th and 75th Hunger Games, the District 2 tributes made it to the top 7.
- According to the Capitol.PN, District 2 has 7 quarries in operation with a population of 231,354, making it the second largest district, in terms of population.
- According to the Capitol.PN, District 2 claims 1,937 in tesserae, making it the second richest district.
- If the population is 231,354 and they claim 1,937 that would equal to 0.008 tesserae per person, making it the richest District.
- ↑ Mockingjay, Chapter 14