District 1 is one of the wealthiest districts of Panem. Its primary industry is manufacturing luxury items, such as jewelry, for the Capitol. As a result, District 1 has a generally favorable relationship with the Capitol, though it is still not excused from the annual Hunger Games. Children from District 1 almost always seem to take pride in competing in the Games, and are typically Career tributes, who train for years before competing. Katniss Everdeen noted how District 1's costumes in the Tribute Parade are always the best (and how parents in the district give their children ridiculous-sounding names). On her Victory Tour, she felt uneasy going into District 1, as she killed both of the district's tributes in the 74th Hunger Games.
Most tributes from District 1 are Careers, who train hard for the Games and volunteer to compete. They may also band together with tributes from the other Career districts (2 and 4) to hunt down and eliminate weaker competitors. They are usually overconfident, like most Careers, but this hardly matters; they are so well trained that they can immediately change their attitude if needed. There are six known tributes from District 1.
- District 1 female (50th HG) - Killed by her own axe when it ricocheted off the Arena's force field after being dodged by Haymitch Abernathy, and split her skull. She placed second in the 50th Hunger Games.
- Augustus Braun - Victor of the 67th Hunger Games. He was known as the 'Cavalier Career' and was very popular during his Victory Tour, where the Capitol sang his praises and promised reconciliation with the Districts.
- Glimmer - Female tribute in the 74th Hunger Games. She died of tracker jacker stings from an attack started by Katniss. She placed 12th in the novel and 11th in the movie.
- Marvel - Male tribute in the 74th Hunger Games. He died after being shot with an arrow by Katniss.
- Cashmere - Female tribute in the 75th Hunger Games, victor of the 64th Hunger Games, and the sister of Gloss. Johanna Mason killed her with an axe, which impaled her chest.
- Gloss - Male tribute in the 75th Hunger Games and victor of the 63rd Hunger Games, consecutive to his sister Cashmere. Katniss killed him with an arrow.
Location and GeographyAccording to the map of Panem featured in The Hunger Games Adventures, District 1 is located directly to the north of the Capitol, which ties in with the close relationship between the two. Geographically, this would place District 1 roughly in the vicinity of Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. These makes sense, as these states - especially Montana - are known sources of gemstones, which fits in with the district's industry of luxury items.
- Many of the known tributes from District 1 had luxurious/fancy-sounding names, as District 1 is the luxury district: "Marvel" means to be filled with awe; "Glimmer" means to glow faintly; "Gloss" could mean deceptively attractive and/or possessing a bright sheen; and "Cashmere" is one of the most expensive fabrics in the world.
- Although not a luxury item, "Augustus" was the name of ancient Rome's first emperor, and Suzanne Collins has mentioned that in creating Panem and the Capitol, she drew heavily on Roman history and culture. Therefore, this name could be a reflection of District 1's close relationship with the Capitol (a phenomenon also seen in names from District 2).
- Katniss Everdeen killed both of District 1's male tributes in her Games after they killed one of her allies; Marvel killed Rue and Gloss killed Wiress.
- District 1 had the highest number of confirmed kills in the 74th Hunger Games, with a total of 6.
- Cashmere was the only tribute from District 1 that wasn't killed by Katniss in the Games' she was in. She was also the only known District 1 tribute not to be directly killed by a tribute from District 12.
- It is mentioned that District 1 has a machine that can turn graphite into diamonds.
- Despite its favorable relationship with the Capitol, District 1 still took up arms against its rule during the second rebellion, and was one of the first four districts to do so, along with 3, 8, and 11. District 1 was the 2nd - 4th district to pry from Capitol rule and eventually, they became the fourth district to do so.
- According to the CapitolPN, District 1 has 82 factories in operation with a population of 24,315, making it the ninth largest district, in terms of population.
- According to the Capitol.PN, District 1 claims 1,693 in tesserae, less than any other district, making it the richest in Panem.
- If the population is 24,315 and they claim 1,693 tesserae that would equal to 0.069 tesserae per person, making it the 3rd richest District.
- ↑ The Hunger Games, Chapter 6