Alliances are an important aspect of The Hunger Games, as tributes ensure their survival by having allies watch their back in the arena. Alliances generally break apart near the end of the Games so the members are not forced to kill each other after. A common alliance in the Games is the one between the Career Tributes of Districts 1, 2 and 4 (in The Hunger Games film, it is only Districts 1 and 2 who form the Career alliance) who work together to take down every other tributes until their alliance is all that remains, and then they rip each other apart, much to the pleasure of the Capitol.
Alliances are most often formed between tributes that are from the same district.
50th Hunger Games
A pack of 10 tributes which spent the early days scouring the mountain area for victims. Five were killed on the 4th day when the mountain erupted into a volcano. Afterwards, three were killed by Haymitch and Maysilee. It is unclear whether the other two had abandoned the alliance at that point.
- District 1 female (1) - Tricked by Haymitch into throwing her axe into the force field at the edge of the arena and killed when the axe rebounded, coming in 2nd place.
- Possibly others from District 1, 2, 4, and other Districts.
District 12 Alliance
- Haymitch Abernathy - Victor
- Maysilee Donner - Killed by candy-pink bird-like muttations, coming in 5th place
65th Hunger Games
Unknown Members - did not include victor Finnick Odair, who instead 'struck out on his own', relying on sponsors.
We can assume the Career Pack was composed by:
- District 1 male - unknown
- District 1 female - unknown
- District 2 male - unknown
- District 2 female - unknown
- District 4 female - unknown
70th Hunger Games
- District 1 male - Drowned
- District 1 female - Drowned
- District 2 male - Drowned
- District 2 female - Drowned
- Possible others
District 4 Alliance
74th Hunger Games
- Marvel - Killed by Katniss via a bow shot to the heart, placing 8th.
- Glimmer - Killed by Tracker Jackers (set on her by Katniss), placing 12th.
- Cato - Mauled by wolf mutts, but mercy killed by Katniss via a bow shot, placing 3rd.
- Clove - Killed by Thresh, placing 6th.
- District 3 male - Not a Career, used for technical skills, killed by Cato via a neck snap, placing 9th.
- District 4 female - Killed by Tracker Jackers (set on her by Katniss), placing 11th.
- Peeta Mellark - Not a Career, used to get close to Katniss, later betrays alliance, joint Victor.
Overall, the Careers placed rather poorly compared with most other years where they place close to first.
- Thresh - Unspoken Alliance, killed by mutts (book) or Cato (film), placing 5th.
- Rue - Killed by Marvel from a thrown spear, placing 7th.
- Peeta Mellark - Joint Victor.
- Katniss Everdeen - Joint Victor.
75th Hunger Games
- Gloss - Killed by Katniss via bow shot, placing 11th.
- Cashmere - Killed by Johanna via throwing axe, placing 10th.
- Brutus - Killed by Peeta after killing Chaff, placing 7th.
- Enobaria - Taken into custody by the Capitol.
The Rebellion Alliance
- Beetee - Rescued by Plutarch Heavensbee
- Wiress - Killed by Gloss via neck slash by knife, placing 12th.
- Finnick Odair - Rescued by Plutarch Heavensbee
- Mags - Committed suicide in Poison Fog, placing 15th.
- District 6 Male - killed at the Cornucopia
- District 6 female - killed by monkey-like muttations, placing 14th.
- Blight - Killed by accidently walking into the force field, placing 16th.
- Johanna Mason - Taken into custody by the Capitol
- Woof - Killed at the Cornucopia
- Cecelia - Killed by Enobaria at the Cornucopia.
- Chaff - Killed by Brutus, placing 8th.
- Seeder - Killed at the Cornucopia.
- Peeta Mellark - Taken into custody by the Capitol
- Katniss Everdeen - Rescued by Plutarch Heavensbee
This is the largest known alliance with a total of 14 members. Their goal was to protect Katniss and Peeta at any cost. Five of the tributes (Blight, the male from District 6, Cecelia, Woof, and Seeder) never had a chance to protect Katniss and Peeta, and four of them gave up their lives protecting them (Wiress, Chaff, the female Morphling, and Mags). The rest stayed loyal to their promise, willing to give their life at any moment.