The 74th Hunger Games
Foxface was reaped into the Hunger Games as the female tribute from District 5 in the 74th Hunger Games. She was one of the few tributes Katniss took note of at the Reaping.
Training and Interview
During the training session, she tested her knowledge of plants in a matching test, and she was seen completing it fast. Foxface received a score of 5 during her private training session with the Gamemakers. During her interview with Caesar, Foxface was nervous and quiet, only having one line in the interview, which was “I will always analyze the situation and apply myself”. In the bonus features of the film, Foxface says that she is very smart, and that "no weapon can match a brain." For her interview, she wore a light blue strapless dress with a ruffled skirt. She answered her questions fast and short. Katniss described her as being "sly and elusive." Later Katniss said that if all the tributes had took a test, she thinks Foxface would've been the smartest.
Like Rue, Foxface ran away from the Cornucopia bloodbath when she entered the arena as she had no weapons or supplies to help her. In the film, Katniss and Foxface run into and knock each other over after running from the bloodbath. However, instead of fighting, the two of them scramble away, running off in different directions with scared expressions.
At the start of the games, Foxface and Katniss run in to each other and stay still for a few seconds. They then run in opposite directions. However, this only happens in the movie. Later on during the Games, she was spotted by Katniss at the Cornucopia near the Careers' camp. After skulking around to make sure she was unidentified by any of the other tributes, Foxface made a variety of movements, which Katniss describes as a dance sequence. Katniss soon discovers that the area was booby-trapped with land mines.
In the book, Foxface had a close encounter with death as she landed wrong and squealed, but she instantly kept going.
Foxface demonstrated her cleverness by figuring out the path into the Careers' pyramid of useful supplies, reaching the bulk of supplies, taking a small, unnoticeable amount of supplies, and then running back to the safety of the woods.
Katniss noticed a bag of apples hanging on the pyramid, which could well be some of the apples Foxface took from a burlap sack, and fired three arrows at it; the bag of apples ripped apart, fell, and set off the land mines. It caused a huge explosion after and destroyed all of the supplies. This resulted in the destruction of the Careers' supplies, and the District 3 male's death by Cato's hands. In the ruins of the explosion, Katniss saw Foxface laughing as she was able to find a knife blade and a metal pot. At first, she didn't understand why but later came to the conclusion that with the Careers supplies destroyed, Foxface realizes that she might actually stand a chance of surviving. At one point, Katniss thought of the possibility of letting her into the alliance she had built with Rue but quickly dismissed the idea due to the fact if she did, Katniss would only earn herself a knife in the back.
After several days in the arena, all the remaining tributes needed something desperately. Due to this, it is announced by Claudius Templesmith that there would be a feast. Foxface, as well as the other tributes, prepared herself for the upcoming event.
When the other tributes arrived at the feast, Foxface was already well hidden within the Cornucopia. When the table rose from the ground with the bags containing each of the tributes' items that they "desperately needed," Foxface didn't waste her time with battle; instead, she sprinted out, took her bag, and quickly evacuated the area. She was not attacked, as the other tributes feared to confront each other, and she was very quick. Katniss was both impressed and angry that she had not come up with a plan so risky and devious. Katniss pulled out one of her arrows to shoot at Foxface, but let her grab her backpack and flee back into the woods. Foxface's green pack most likely contained food, as her strategy was to stay hidden and avoid any confrontation between any of the tributes. Throughout the games, she managed to survive by scavenging, foraging and occasionally stealing from other contestants. This strategy worked until she unwittingly stole and ate poisonous nightlock berries from Katniss and Peeta.
Foxface placed 4th in the Games.
Katniss and Peeta find her body holding nightlock berries. She died after stealing and eating the berries that Peeta had collected. Katniss believed that if Peeta had known about the poison and was attempting to trick Foxface, she would have known not to eat them and could have won. However it is thought that she knew about the nightlock berries being poisonous and committed suicide, due to the scene in the training center where she matches up and tests her knowledge of various plants and berries. Katniss questions the circumstances of her death. When her body was then taken away by a hovercraft, Katniss mentioned that her body was emaciated, so she would've died sooner or later from her lack of food supplies.
Foxface was one of the tributes who had their DNA used for wolfish muttations. Katniss noticed many mutts, as they had similar characteristics to their fallen tributes. In this case, Foxface was a small wolfish-muttation. She had large razor-sharp claws, fire-red fur and amber eyes, which were strikingly similar to those of Foxface. It is unknown if Foxface's mutt survived the attack at the Cornucopia.
Foxface avoided confronting the other tributes and kept a reasonable distance between her and anyone else. She intelligently observed other tributes from afar, which allowed her to understand their plans. She took an unnoticeable amount of food from others without their knowledge, and was careful when she was in the Careers' camp, for she knew that it contained mines. She was clever enough to trace a path through the mines where she could step without being blown to pieces. She had no alliances with other tributes and kept completely to herself.
She also demonstrated the attribute of being wily, when she deciphers a path through the explosives to reach the Careers' pyramid of food and supplies, making sure to take enough to survive, but not so much that it would be noticed by the others when they arrived back at their camp. She was independent, always working alone and was sly, elusive, and probably untrustworthy.
Another one of her clever ideas was demonstrated at the feast. Foxface hid in the Cornucopia, waiting for the others to come. She didn't waste time with a battle — she ran up, snatched her bag, and quickly evacuated the area. No one would follow her in fear of not getting their own bags, containing something they "desperately needed," taken away by another tribute. Katniss was also envious of her plan, how strategic and risky it was, and how it trapped the other tributes.
Foxface was careful not to make enemies or even to make herself noticed. Remarkably, she managed to get through to the final four tributes without making a single kill, showing either her morals, luck, or her intelligence.
Foxface was a sly and sneaky tribute. Foxface was smaller than most of the other tributes in the 74th Hunger Games, weighing 115 pounds. In the book, Katniss describes Foxface as having amber eyes and sleek red hair. In the movie, however, her eyes are green.
Foxface proved to be one of the smartest, trickiest, and stealthiest tributes in the Games. She demonstrated this several times throughout the book by doing various things, such as stealing supplies from other tributes, letting herself to become a forgettable tribute in order to not draw attention to herself, and she could find things that others didn't look hard enough for.
- In the film, her odds of winning were 7-1, the same as Glimmer.
- Foxface is often confused with the District 9 female because they are around the same size and both have red hair.
- Jacqueline Emerson stated that she made up a little story in her mind for Foxface so it wouldn't bother her that Foxface rarely spoke.
- Foxface only had one line in the movie: At the time of the interviews, she told Caesar Flickerman, "I find that if I can apply myself to the situation present, I will be able to figure it out."
- In the Brazilian version of the movie, Caesar Flickerman calls her "Fynch," as he says "Muito obrigado, Fynch" (Thank you so much, Fynch).
- In the Italian version of the movie, Caesar Flickerman calls her "Finch," as he says "Grazie mille, Finch" (Thank you so much, Finch).
- In the Training Center, she is shown completing a computer matching test with no problem at all.
- Although never mentioned in the book, she receives a training score of 5, either having no real skill that could be shown to the Gamemakers, or she was using a strategy similar to Johanna Mason's, which involved appearing mediocre and non-threatening to deceive other tributes.
- Prior to Katniss and Peeta both receiving a score of 12 for the 75th Hunger Games, Foxface was the only known tribute to receive a training score that is the same as their district's number.
- In the movie, Foxface wears two animal ear-like braids (that are also known as "fox ears") in the arena.
- In the film, a scene was added where she and Katniss bump into each other while fleeing the Cornucopia but flee in opposite directions.
- She never formed any alliances.
- Foxface was able to obtain a bag immediately before Katniss destroyed the Careers' food supply.
- In the movie, Foxface ran from the feast carrying her District 5 pack. In the book, Katniss pulled out one of her arrows to shoot her, but was too caught up in her own thoughts, and Foxface escaped.
- Foxface was the last tribute to survive with a low training score: she came in 4th in the book and 5th in the movie.
- Foxface was the last female tribute to die in the 74th Hunger Games.
- Foxface is the only tribute from District 5 to have any sort of name mentioned.
- It was stated that Katniss thought of forming an alliance with Foxface, but this never occurred.
- Foxface is strongly connected with the number 5, in the following ways: She's from District 5, she received a training score of 5, she placed 5th in the movie, and is 5'5" in height.
- In the book, Katniss realises her real enemy is perhaps the stealthy Foxface and is surprised when seeing her body being taken away.
- It is unknown if Foxface knew the effects of the Nightlock berries and killed herself, or if it was an accident.
- In an early version of the script, Caesar Flickerman says "So, your name is Marissa, but everyone calls you Foxface. Because you're a redhead?".